Bomboloni/Bombolini’s are Italian doughnuts that are fried, coated in granulated sugar, and traditionally stuffed with pastry cream...
I tried to make these a tad less heavy by baking them, and of course nutella stuffing was a no-brainer! Use a mini-muffin tin or regular sized depending on what size you’re going for.
- ▢ 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- ▢ 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- ▢ 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ▢ 1 large egg
- ▢ 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ▢ 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ▢ 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ▢ 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- ▢ 1/2 cup buttermilk
- ▢ 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ▢ 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- ▢ 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ▢ 1/2 cup Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread to pipe into the centers
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Thoroughly grease a 24-count mini muffin tin.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk the vegetable oil and sugars until smooth. Add the egg, beating to combine. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Add half the flour, whisk until combined. Add the milk, beat until combined. Add the remaining flour, beat until combined.
- Divide the batter between 24 mini muffin cups- fill about 3/4 of the way. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the top springs back when you touch it. I always use a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. Place on a rack to cool for a few minutes.
- Set up two large shallow bowls. Place melted butter in one, and combine sugar and cinnamon in the other. Once the donut holes are cool enough to handle, dunk them into the butter, then immediately roll in cinnamon sugar.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small open star tip with Nutella and gently insert the tip into the side of each donut hole and squeeze a little Nutella inside.